Listen to this episode on your favorite podcast app :
What is this episode about?
In this eighth podcast episode, hosts Pavithra Jaivant and Bhavana Acharya discuss the essential components of building a comprehensive health insurance cover, emphasizing the importance of personal health insurance, even if one’s employer provides coverage. They break down the 3 key components: a basic health insurance policy, a super top-up policy, and a critical illness plan.
- Basic health insurance policy:
- This is the foundation of your health coverage.
- It covers hospitalization expenses due to illness, injury, or medical procedures.
- Consider family floater policies for cost-effectiveness.
- Key factors to consider: restrictions, waiting periods, room rent coverage, cashless hospital networks, and customer experiences.
- Super top-up policy:
- A super top-up policy complements the basic health insurance policy.
- It pays out after a deductible amount is reached.
- The deductible can be equal to the sum insured of your basic policy.
- It’s a cost-effective way to increase your health coverage.
- Critical Illness Plan:
- Critical illness plans provide a lump-sum payout on diagnosis of specific severe illnesses.
- Survival period conditions may apply.
- There are limits on the number of claims, with some plans categorizing illnesses.
- A critical illness cover can serve as a financial safety net for unexpected medical expenses.
In this podcast, the hosts also cover whether you need to take out separate health insurance if you’re already covered by your employer, a rough guide on how much you need in terms of overall health coverage and an idea of how much all this may cost you.
In conclusion, building a comprehensive health insurance cover involves combining a basic health insurance policy, a super top-up policy, and a critical illness plan. These components work together to provide financial protection against various health-related risks. It’s crucial to assess your specific needs, consider your age and potential health risks, and align your coverage accordingly. Additionally, maintaining an emergency fund can offer additional financial security for unexpected medical expenses.
Key segments in the podcast discussion
- Market updates (0:32 – 6:20)
- Zerodha AMC & Groww Mutual Fund (6:21 – 8:36)
- GDP growth (8:37 – 11:19)
- Corporate Buzz: TCS’s $1 billion deal and ITC’s investments (11:20 – 13:30)
- Health Insurance Essentials (13:31 – 16:45)
- Policy Features: Check crucial elements when choosing the right health policy (16:46 – 21:44)
- Super Top-up Insights (21:45 – 24:49)
- Critical Illness Covers: Protect yourself with critical illness coverage (24:50 – 27:50)
- Other Insurance Tips (27:51 – 36:03)
Don’t have a podcast app? Listen to the full episode here :
Follow the podcast wherever you listen to podcasts :